Monday, December 23, 2013

christmas tree tour

A couple weeks ago we bought our Christmas tree. In NYC, this means going to a nearby tree stand and picking out your tree there. I love seeing all the Christmas tree stands all over town...not to mention the fresh pine smell is amazing.
{the tree stand where we bought our Christmas tree}
Michael carried the tree all the way home and put it in our tree stand for us to decorate.
Here is our tree this year, all gussied up:
My family always had a live tree growing up, and I just love this tradition!

I thought it might be fun to take you on a little "tour" of our tree, sharing some of my favorite ornaments. For us, the ornaments on our tree represent a little bit of our history, and often times have special memories attached to them. Keep reading if you'd like to join me for a little peek at our tree!

First up we have this ornament from Paloma's Nest on Etsy. It's a little hard to read in this picture, but it says "Our First Christmas // Michael & Elise // 2012." It was a Christmas gift to us last year and it's a special one for obvious reasons. 

Next up is this maize and blue beauty:
If you've read our love story, you know Michael & I met at the University of Michigan,
which will always have a special place in our hearts. Forever, go blue!

This adorable ornament is a favorite from my childhood. Mr. & Mrs. Claus have been riding in their red & green hot air balloon since the late 80s. When you press a button on the bottom of the ornament it plays "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town" and the balloon lights up. I remember many quiet nights enjoying the glow of our childhood Christmas tree, listening to this ornament play its tune.
It's special to have it on our tree this year for the first time. 

These little shoes are from our honeymoon in Belgium. Michael and I have been collecting ornaments from places we travel as a couple since before we were married. It's fun to remember where we have been together each Christmas as we decorate the tree.

This Chrysler Building ornament was a gift from a dear friend this Christmas. She got it at the holiday market at Union Square (it's a holiday tradition for us to go shopping there). The Chrysler Building is my favorite one in the NYC skyline. I find it so classic, old-fashioned and charming, especially when it's all lit up at night.

This nativity scene silhouette is made of olive wood from Bethlehem. I bought it at the holiday market in Columbus Circle last year. Sisters from the Convent of St. Elisabeth in Belarus have a booth there, so not only is it a beautiful ornament, but it supports a beautiful ministry. It hangs front and center on our tree as a reminder of the Holy Family Michael and I hope to emulate.

Do you have favorite ornaments on your tree? I'd love to hear about them!

2 comments :

  1. Elise!
    Your tree is beautiful on its own...but made even more so by the special ornaments you placed on it...
    Thank you for sharing, and I hope you two have a wonderful Christmas together!
    You remind me of Steve and I ...when we were first married...
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! Jim really wanted to get a real tree, but I just feel like we would forget to water it and then we would just have a dead tree on our hands, lol! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to leave a note.

Related Posts with Thumbnails